Nairobi (Kenya), September 2020. We are very pleased to report that Mr. Abubakar Ali ...
Who We Are
Ecodudu is a waste-to-value company. We use a proprietary innovation to recycle organic waste into high-protein animal feed and organic fertilizer using the black soldier fly. We harness insects (nature’s recycling agents) to address global issues which include waste management, demand for protein and environmental conservation.
The problems we are solving
- About 30% of waste in Africa and 38% of waste Kenya is uncollected due to population growth, costs of waste disposal, and the lack of necessary infrastructure.
- The majority of urban waste is organic, typically more than 50% by volume.
- Organic waste in landfills releases large amounts of methane, a very harmful greenhouse gas.
- According to the UN, rotting food waste accounts for 7% of the global greenhouse gas emissions.
- 85% global increase in meat demand by 2050
- 70% of the world’s soy production is fed to animals, with damaging consequences in terms of land abuse, deforestation, and calories waste.
- 33% of the global arable land is already used to producing feed for livestock
- More than a football field of Brazilian rain forest is cut down every hour to produce livestock feed for Europe
Our Give Back
Collection of Organic Waste:
We source organic waste from a network of food producing companies.
Waste recycling into animal feed and organic fertilizer
The waste to value process takes 45 days since the Black Soldier Larvae (BSFL) are ravenous eaters. It all starts when a female adult (1-3 weeks) lays about 500 eggs which hatch into larvae in about four days.The Ecodudu hatchery reproduces and maintains the fly colony to ensure that the growth facility produces the necessary amount of young larvae to consume our incoming feedstock.
Product processing of Shamba mix and Dudu meal
After 45 days, the larvae are being dried before being packaged into “Dudumeal” bags for our customers. The organic fertilizer, Shambamix, is also packaged and ready to be used by farmers.
BSFL is 100% sustainable, safe, natural, cost-effective alternative feed for the aquaculture, farming and animal feed industries compared to fishmeal and soybean meal since it has a higher protein alternative.